Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Celebrities in Seattle

Two celebrity figures managed to significantly impact my day yesterday. The first was George W. Bush, whose arrival and departure from Seattle caused every airport-connecting thoroughfare in the city to be closed down. Since I live five minutes from the airport, that means my house was effectively blocked by police at every angle. At first, I didn't know what was going on... traffic had slowed to a crawl and orange cones were springing up everywhere. "What the heck!" I thought to myself, "is the president in town?!" The answer happened to be yes. It took me two hours to make it home.

The second celebrity was Daryl Hall. He appeared in concert along with the other half of his duo, but in truth I really don't pay much attention to John. Apparently, he is quite used to second billing and probably takes home his million without complaint. On stage, Oates played his guitar and dutifully sang second fiddle behind a single monitor. A few feet over, the blond-locked heartthrob Hall stood behind four audio monitors, a video monitor, and two wind blowers... which added to his carefully crafted sex appeal by whipping said blond locks in a super-cool, rock-n-roll fashion about his crooning face. I was sucked right in. I jumped and clapped and swooned like a schoolgirl. I swear it was just the music... they are indeed my favorite band of all time.

The leader of the free world and the most successful rock duo of all time. August 27th, 2007. Oh, and we also had our septic tank pumped that morning. What a day.

2 comments:

Rick said...

The wind also serves to stretch out the winkles on his ample double chin. Just an observation.

Todd R. Vick said...

I'm sure your hubby has regaled you with our 8th grade stories of Hall and Oates. You should inquire of him about Foreigner 4 in the PRMS library. Now THAT is a funny story. Pity that I cannot actually remember the whole story.