Thursday, August 2, 2007

Naming a Blog

Having decided right off the bat that "My Blog" would not suffice as a title, I began scouring my brain for brilliant alternatives. My first thought was "On the Bandwagon Again," since I am trying this blog thing for the second time -- I fell off without a whimper some three years ago. But that still sounded too bland, even when I toyed with the variation "On the Funky Bandwagon Again, Y'all."

Luckily, my magnetic poetry kit was within reach, so I closed my eyes and randomly selected three tiles. The result: "Still Repulsive Moment." I am not kidding. Maybe my magnetic poetry kit knows something I don't. I replaced the tiles.

Next option...
I recently read a horrible little book entitled Running With Scissors in which several of the characters readily engage in "Bible dipping," or asking God a question, opening a Bible, and pointing blindly to a phrase in which God apparently responds. Finding this too sacrilegious for my own tastes, I reached instead for the Southern Living magazine conveniently within reach on my desk and performed the same task. "Oh Southern Living Magazine, what should I name my blog?" Response: "Smart Watering FAQs." I don't think so.

Then the final brainstorm hits -- "Nothing Better to Do." Then it occurs to me that the dishes are not done, my study is piled up in the wreckage of a re-org project, and I have a half-finished novel just a click away on the computer. There are plenty of other better things I could be doing. Thus is life... and thus is a title born.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Nice touch - one post doesn't make a bandwagon, but I'm hoping you won't find anything else better to do :).

George said...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person just getting into this whole blog thing. Now if you'll excuse me, I have dishes to do.