Monday, August 6, 2007

Ah, Harry

Anyone who knows me knows I love the Harry Potter books. When the latest came out, I carefully guarded my reading scenarios so this final experience could be savored. I tried not to read in hungry snatches throughout the day but in consciously selected settings, like the local coffee shop with a fireplace and easy chair (and cinnamon latte) or propped up in bed with lamplight (and hot tea). I finally finished it a week ago at 1:15 AM.

To be submerged in Harry's world is pure delight, and I am truly sad that it's all over... yes, I can always pick up one of the books and re-read, but the first time with its unrepeatable surprises and delights just can't be resurrected. The movies help, because they hit the mood and imagery of the books dead on, and thankfully there are two more new ones to come!

Now that I'm finished with Book 7, I've been free to unclog my ears to potential spoilers and surf around for a little Harry commentary, trying to keep the mood alive for a little while longer! I discovered this one earlier this morning, from Christianity Today. Despite all the controvery surrounding the books in Christian circles, there are still many of us who see Biblical symbolism and imagery worth talking about. Book 7 comes complete with profound sacrificial love and Bible verse allusions. For my Christian friends who are also Potter fans, you won't want to miss it: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/augustweb-only/131-43.0.html

1 comment:

Todd R. Vick said...

Welcome back to the blog universe! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with you guys during your visit. I hope we get to do that again and again. Squeeze H. for me!