Monday, October 20, 2008

Nothin' to Write About...?

I'm feeling jealous that so many of my blogging pals seem to have so much more than me to blog about. Charlotte always makes me laugh, and Rick gets me all political, and Todd's life musings are gold. So I guess I'll just react and ramble for a bit tonight.

No cooking blogs for now. I'm into quick and easy these days. Particularly frozen food from Trader Joe's. No one can provide a defrostable feast like Joe.

Politics... My husband and mother sure hate Barack Obama. So once a week I reconsider my vote but always end up back in his court. I don't think he's condescending (like Mom says). I think he's articulate and concerned and sincerely Christian. Maybe I'm getting duped - wouldn't be the first time. I also think his strategy of running "against Bush" was wise and totally fair play (that's Jay's gripe). We're in a 2-party system, much to my chagrin by the way, and the Democrat is trying to counter the last 8 years of Republican imperfections. Even so, I thought McCain's retort on that point (in the debate last week) was fair and funny. I like McCain, but I think his famous maverick-osity plays better as a senator. I see Obama as a hopeful, presidential figure. 'Nuff said about that. I could argue all my reasons, but we'd be bored to tears.

My students are awesome. They are learning. My sophomores are low level readers and terrible testers, and I'm trying to teach them some basic skills this year. They are actually appreciating it. We're speaking honestly about study habits, Bloom's Taxonomy, learning styles, etc, and laughing a lot along the way. I love my job. And they're blogging! Fun!

Harper has decided officially that she's an early riser. She got up at 5:30 this morning. Got dressed and put Scooby Doo in the DVD. Then she set out my breakfast: a bowl with a spoon in it, box of Cap'n Crunch beside the bowl, milk sitting out of the fridge for 2 hours waiting for me to pour it, and a piece of burnt-black toast with a scoop of cream cheese on top. Sweetest thing I've ever seen. She informed me that she ate a bag of cookies for breakfast. Our new rule, however, is that she cannot get up before at least one parent is awake.

What I'm reading: Book 3 in the Twilight series. I've gotta tell you that Edward gets on my nerves. An overprotective tease. But I was in the bookstore the other day and saw some of the new paperbacks with movie images on the cover, and that movie-version Edward is one hot little number. I might have to change my mind about him.

2 comments:

Todd R. Vick said...

And you thought you had nothing to blog! My daughters are all over the "Twilight" series. Still waiting for your book to be published...

Rick said...

I'm jealous of the morning Scooby-Doo watching.