Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oh y'all, this was so good...


I'm taking a tip from Charlotte tonight and blogging about my cooking adventures. For dinner, we had a tomato tart, fontina grits, and short-cut sweet collards. I'll start by giving props to Martha Stewart for the tart recipe and Paula Deen for the collards, although I modified both recipes a bit.

For the tart, I used a ready made pie crust - shame on me! I did not cut corners with the actual roasting of the garlic, though, because the guy on the TV show said that the coating of garlic paste would form a barrier between the juicy tomatoes and the crust, preventing it from getting soggy. However, I only used three cloves rather than the whole head. I also baked the tart only about 40 minutes, which I found to be sufficient, and added a little basil as well. Needless to say, all this served to reduce the time and effort of the exercise by quite a bit. Who has time for the full Martha Stewart treatment, anyway? It was delicious. My husband and I kept eating even after we were quite full.

The perfect side dishes for the tart are grits and collards. I used the remainder of the chunk of fontina and dumped it in the grits (prepared according to 4-serving box directions). The collards I made last week, and to my delight, the experiment in freezing/defrosting them turned out great. I don't know how many pounds of collards I started out with - one bunch of 'em from the grocery store, however much that is - so I'll have to admit to guestimating all the other quantities, too. Paula's microwave strategy is ingenious, and I love the bacon-vinegar-syrup-pepper seasoning. I subbed turkey bacon for the Canadian version and added quite a bit more vinegar and syrup than the recipe called for, partly because my collards were extra bitter. But the end result was fantastic. Oh, I am so delightfully full! Did I already say that?

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

That looks AWESOME!!!