Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thank You!

A belated THANKS! to all of you who donated to my "Virtual Birthday Party" back in March! I just this evening received the final word on where all the money went, along with some wonderful pictures.

The first project we funded was a new tin roof for a rural school in Uganda. They lost the old one in a severe storm. Our money bought tin sheets, and local labor installed them free of charge.

The second project -- a bonus, since I didn't know we'd raise so much money! -- was a furniture donation for an orphan school, also in Uganda. Here is an excerpt from the email I received tonight:

As always in Africa, things happen slowly. We were able to get the benches for Living Hope Orphan school that we discussed. This is a great ministry helping over 200 vulnerable and orphaned children in a predominantly Muslim slum area of Kampala. I hope the photos give a sense of happiness of this place – its a rowdy but always exuberant group of kids. Actually every time I’ve visited they are more or less like this happy – even if we don’t bring anything. I know however, that the gift of the desks will make a huge difference. Please pass our deepest thanks to the lady who generously gave for this project.

So I extend their thanks and wonderful smiles to you who so lovingly gave! I found this email waiting for me upon my return from seeing a movie about an orphanage in China during the Chinese-Japanese war in the 1930's. I had come home feeling so suburban, so protected from real suffering, so irrelevant. And then... these pictures! Enjoy!!



2 comments:

Charlotte said...

What beautiful faces!!

granna said...

Thanks to you - sweet daughter-in-law - for giving us all the opportunity to share in your most wonderful birthday gift to these children. What a joy indeed.

Linda