Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Confessions

I don't usually go too personal in my blogs, but I'm stepping out today. I really feel like God has been waving some flags around me the past six months or so, waiting for me to take notice. Some flags have been tiny and recent. But they're adding up to SOMETHING...

1) Around the vicinity of the big 4-0 I realized I wanted to be more authentic and bold in my life, more compassionate, impulsive, loving, expressive. Stop editing myself when I truly suspect the Spirit is moving.

2) In my teaching, I've felt a need to get away from my compulsion to map everything out just-so. The word coming to mind often is "organic." I've also felt a need to bring missions into the spotlight in my world lit class. These two themes, with roots in the 07-08 school year, have been compounding even in the last 24 hours.

3) I really feel a desperate need to see God's hand more clearly and concretely. I've been in several situations lately where I've heard people speak with great faith about God "moving" - and the thing is, deep in my heart I totally believe them, but my brain nags at me - Are we just putting God's name on top of good fortune, coincidence, wishful thinking? I really want to SEE. Even in the last 24 hours, I've encountered two stories of miraculous revelations and confirmations of God's will in the mission field. Why don't I see those from my house?

4) I get suspicious when people say that God spoke to them. But back in December, I remember very clearly a moment when I thought God said, "I've been girding you up for this." Now, I don't really want to tell that whole story, but I do keep wondering...

So, is there a theme going on here or what? Comments and prayers welcome.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Similar midlife thoughts going on here, too - and I suspect through all of us hitting this age milestone. For me, I don't need the concrete, but I do want to make sure I'm on the right trail. If it's a rut, make sure it's the right rut. My word that pops up is "intentional", wanting to be on the proactive instead of reactive side of things.

Trust those moments when you feel God speak. You know that already :) - there's the voice that you know, "I wouldn't have thought that". And it's something encouraging and difficult at the same time usually, right? Even if it's spaced out by years, it's something to gain comfort from going forward, I think.

I'm up way to early to be helpful :)