Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Birthday Present

Pictured above is the girls' dorm -- and the lovely resident students -- of a Ugandan school in need. This secondary school in the rural Kamwenge District was recently hit by a sudden and strong storm. The roofs of every building were damaged or destroyed. Samaritan's Purse is proposing to buy 150 sheets of tin roofing for the girls' dorm so that they have a place to sleep and can continue to attend school. A small bath house will also be covered by the tin sheets. The community is supplying all lumber and labor. The cost to repair the roof is $2,000.00.

The goal of my "virtual birthday party" (see previous post) is to repair that roof. Can we raise $2000 in one week? I'm at $410 as of this afternoon... and there are so many people who HAVEN'T GIVEN ME A PRESENT!!! Shocking! So, if you're so inclined, send a check made out to Samaritan's Purse my way. No need to wrap it.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Do you take paypal? I don't know that my "check in the mail" will get there in time. But I won't let the fact that payday and your bday are in such close proximity :)

Caryn Kirk said...

In the absence of paypal, I'll gladly wait on snailmail before mailing the checks. Birthdays really are better when they fall right AFTER payday.

James said...

We do accept PayPal, by the way! Email me if you are interested.