Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tantrum 101

I have two college degrees, more than 12 years teaching experience, a decent IQ, and a lot of self confidence, most of the time... but nothing, NOTHING, prepares you to deal with 6-year-old temper tantrums. Today, I tried to ride the tide. Last time the temper tempest kicked in, I promised myself I would never again try to physically restrain her or heap punishment after punishment for each ingredient of the tantrum, but GET HER TO HER ROOM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE until she had morphed back into Dr. Jeckyl. Today, however, the carpet cleaning lady was upstairs. So we were stuck. I tried to turn the living room chair into time out headquarters. Then, I made the mistake of telling her she could not get up from the chair until I said OK - on the penalty of a spanking. Two minutes later, she looked me in the eye and got up. Uh-oh. Now I was committed to a spanking. I took her by the hand and headed back to the chair, explaining the impending consequence. When she realized I was serious about the spanking, she fought back within an inch of her life, I let go, and she careened into the TV stand. Reminder: No physical restraints, EVER! So, we tried time out in the bathroom. Didn't stick. Time out in Daddy's study. Better. Screaming, stomping, screaming, stomping. When she was calm, we sat together on the couch and I outlined the consequences of her behavior (no Bee Movie, no TV, one week). Then she disappeared into the kitchen. This was the first moment of silence in 45 minutes. She was making me a card. This is what it said (do your best with the spelling):

I am sorry. My hort is rilly hord.
It is very supre coild and gray in our backyard.
I hope you frgive me for all the bad things I've dun.
How much love did I have
The ancr is nun.
I love you. Love, Harper. To mom.

Like I said, NOTHING prepares you for days like this.

2 comments:

Rick said...

From what my wife told me, "no BEE MOVIE" should've been the treat & reward. Good job, mom.

Todd R. Vick said...

Pardon me...I need a tissue.